Sunday, December 8, 2013

Count Your Blessings

I need this post today as much as anyone.  I am really struggling with how I'm not overcoming a certain chronic health issue...how little my four children accomplished yesterday even though I was feeling pretty good and trying to drive them like mules...how when I was cleaning the kitchen yesterday, I quickly discovered that a fresh roast had bled all over most of the other items in the meat drawer, which -- of course -- caused me to have to stop and take care of that issue instead of proceed with what I was doing.  

The day set aside as "Thanksgiving" may be over, but thankfulness should be a way of life for us as Christians.  Easier said than done many times, I know. But stop now and either pick up your journal (or prayer journal, if you keep one) or a piece of decorative paper and a nice pen, then start writing your blessings.  Number them.  Start with the simple ones, like one of my favorites:  "I'm vertical and suckin' in air."  LOL  If we can keep ourselves from taking the most "basic" blessings for granted (and yet, how amazing is it that our bodies just keep breathing each day, without us having to tell them to?!), we can see that even though life's circumstances aren't always going the way we want them to, God is good.  All the time.  

When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost
Count your many blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the LORD hath done...

                                             ~ Johnson Oatman, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment